Prior to your appointment please fill out our dental waiver form. Feel free to email back or bring with you at your appointment.
“Thank you, Vicki, for being so patient and kind while cleaning my little pup’s teeth today! In the past we have had to clean his teeth in the vet’s Office under general anesthesia. What a great option to clean my dog’s teeth within an hour with no anesthesia!! She is very knowledgeable and so very gentle. She did a great job and I’m thrilled with the results! Thank you, Vicki!!” Sarah M. (DDS)
OUR DENTAL PROCEDURE
Step 1: Dental Consult
VIC Pet Care provides a hand instrument exam to confirm there are no areas of concern present including: loose teeth, root exposure, gum recession, deep fractures or an infection present. If your pet is not a candidate, then we send home pictures along with a dental consult form and the pet will be referred to your veterinarian for further treatment. If no areas of concern are present and your pet is a candidate, we can then proceed with the cleaning
Step 2: Cleaning
Our well trained dental technicians have specialized pet handling techniques to work around your pet’s breed, size and personality. We comfortably position your pet on the floor using gentle relaxation techniques which allow the pet to feel secure & relaxed. Hand scalers and curettes are safely used to remove plaque and tartar from all surfaces of the teeth both above and below the gum line.
Step 3: Polishing
Polishing will smooth the surface and decrease the adhesive ability of plaque.
Step 4: Brushing and Antiseptic Wipe:
Brushing with chicken flavored toothpaste to help remove any excess debris. Antibacterial oral rinse and/or wipes are applied before, during and after the cleaning to prevent any chance of infection.
Step 5: Educate:
We’ll provide you with before and after pictures, a review of your pet’s dental health and experience along with a recommended treatment plan moving forward.
IS MY PET A CANDIDATE?
- We always perform a dental consult prior to any dental cleaning to confirm your pet is a candidate for this procedure. Since we promote a healthy smile and educate clients on preventative care we want to make sure they qualify first. They are not a candidate if we find any areas of concern including a loose tooth, gum recession, root exposure, deep fractures or any infections present. If we find anything of concern then we always proceed with a full dental consult. Next we recommend them going under anesthesia with their local veterinarian for a dental cleaning, x-rays, medications and possible extractions. If you don’t have a local vet we can recommend some great one’s in your area. We always recommend coming back to see us 6 months post a dental cleaning to help maintain a healthy smile.
- If your pet is a Stage 1 or Stage 2 Prophy then more than likely they are a candidate for our non-anesthesia dental cleaning. Most pets with a Stage 3 or Stage 4 prophy require further medical attention by your local veterinarian.
Providing your pet with good dental hygiene can add 2-4 years to their life!
WHY IS REGULAR DENTAL CARE SO IMPORTANT FOR YOUR PETS?
- Dogs have 42 permanent adult teeth; cats have 30.
- Approximately 80% of dogs and cats will have some form of dental disease by age 3.
- Periodontal disease (teeth/gums) is the most common disease seen in adult dogs and cats.
- Small-breed dogs are particularly susceptible to periodontal disease because their mouths are smaller & their teeth are crowded together.
- Dental Disease can lead to:
- Mouth pain
- Problems chewing food
- Bleeding and/or receding gums
- Tooth Loss
- Bad breath
- Heart Disease
- Liver Disease
- Kidney Disease
- Respiratory Disease
- Weakened Immune System
Meet Our Partners
We are excited to have partnered with our areas leading veterinarians, groomers, day care facilities, pet stores and dog training clubs. We currently offer our dentals at the following locations:
Become a partner
Are you a local pet industry expert looking to provide additional services for your clients? Partnering with V.I.C. Pet Care will not only help increase revenue, bring in more foot traffic, but also allows you to provide a service that improves the quality of life of your clients’ pets. We would love to chat with you! Please leave us a note by clicking on the link below and we will reach back out with additional information, help answer any questions or even schedule a free demo.